Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Statue 2: New 52 Supergirl Bust

The very first comic-book I downloaded and read when getting back into comic-books again was Supergirl #1 from DC's The New 52 line.  The comic re-introduces Supergirl as a new character, just arrived on earth.  In honor of the occasion, DC gave her a newly designed costume, which has garnered both praise and criticism.  Now, my favorite version of Supergirl is still and always the original, and how much I like this re-envisioned version of Supergirl is going to, in part, depend on how close she eventually comes to bringing back that original character.  For now (I've read the first 10 issues of the series at this point), I'm reasonably satisfied. The new Supergirl is from Krypton (and specifically Argo City) like the original, and is the daughter of Superman's Uncle Zor-El.  She is named Kara Zor-El, just as the original was.  And she seems to have all the powers that the original had (within reason).

I'll reserve discussion of the various versions of Supergirl for another time, since this article is about a statue I recently purchased.  When I was shopping Amazon for the "Crisis" Supergirl action figure (Statue #1), I noticed several very nice-looking statues, and one that was reasonably priced, and looked quite nice was a bust based on the new Supergirl ("The New 52" version).  Since my first "statue" was an action figure of the oldest version of Supergirl (though not her oldest costume), I figured my second purchase should book-end the character by representing her newest version.  I bought this statue on January 4, and it arrived at my apartment a few days ago.

The first impression one gets with any collectible is the packaging. Indeed, if you really want to keep something a "collectible," you technically shouldn't even take it out of the package. However, I have no intention of using my statues or action figures as monetary investments (since those types of things never pay off), so I plan to open them as I get them. However, it's nice when the item arrives in an attractive package, and this bust definitely did.
New 52 Supergirl Bust statue box
The bust was sealed up tight in a large styrofoam packing block, and was extremely well protected. It took some doing, in fact, to get the packaging open and get her out of there. And I have to say, once I had her on the table top, I was extremely pleased.  The bust is gorgeous. It is about 6" high, and is made from a ceramic material (most likely porcelain).  The detailing and painting on it are excellent, and I particularly love the way they formed the cape. She has a nice, heroic yet feminine pose, and I love the way they shaped her hair.  Supergirl looks like she's about to spring into action against a super-bad-guy.
The New 52 Supergirl bust with some biographical materials
I also like the way they created the stand.  It has an organic, swooping appearance to it, and the "S" shield, which represents the family crest of the House of El, is raised up three-dimensionally from the base.  The statue looks good from all angles.  As I said above, the paint job is outstanding, and the detailing is extremely good.  Here are some shots of the statue from different angles, to demonstrate what it looks like.



Overall, I am extremely pleased with this statue.  If this is the quality level I can expect from the DC Direct busts, I absolutely will be buying more (I already have Hawk, Dove, and Batgirl on my want list, but I will probably get others if they are all this good).  I don't have anything bad to say about this statue.  It's excellent, and was well worth the money.  When I find a place to display all my collectibles, this one will get a very prominent position.  I rate this a 10/10.  It is first-rate.

Finally, I thought it would be fun to include a shot of the two versions of Supergirl (oldest and newest) together along with some of their contemporaneous biographical material.  So here is a shot of Crisis Supergirl and New 52 Supergirl together.

I have to admit that, although I like the original Supergirl better (both in costume and in almost every other way), the New 52 statue blows the action figure out of the water.

To wrap up, the New 52 Supergirl bust, which retails for about $65, is a top-notch statue, and I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting a high-quality superhero statue.  I don't think you even need to be a Supergirl fan to appreciate this model. It is simply outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment